Not too long ago, moving to a new home or office location meant abandoning your old phone number and getting a new one. Not only was getting a new phone number a hassle for you, it was also a hassle for all of your contacts who needed to change their records and automatic dialers. Businesses could convert their old main numbers to call forwarding numbers but tended to phase those out over time.
For residential users, VoIP and telephone number portability eventually arrived, opening the doors to taking your old phone number with you. Those options still exist, but a new option has emerged offering the ultimate in phone portability: the virtual phone.
Why Order a Virtual Phone?
A virtual phone is one that essentially resides in the so-called cloud. When you order a virtual phone, you are issued a phone number which you can then assign to ring to any other phone number in existence. Because you can change your virtual phone’s ring to number at will, you can take your virtual phone with you wherever you go. The possibilities are unlimited.
For example, you could use your virtual phone to:
- Route calls to your mobile phone
- Route calls to your home’s landline
- Route calls to a hotel room phone when traveling
- Route calls to your main office
- Route calls to a back office line
- Route calls to a temporary workspace phone
- Route calls to a colleague’s phone
- Make cheap international long distance calls by changing the ring to number
- Route calls to a disposable cell phone when visiting another country
- Use the virtual phone number’s calling features to create a virtual PBX system
- Ensure your callers can reach you regardless of where you are or which physical phone you currently have access to
Where to Get a Virtual Phone
Due to its virtual nature, you’re not buying a physical phone per se but rather a call divert service that routes incoming calls to a designated phone number. aitelephone.com offers an affordable virtual phone service suitable for domestic and international call forwarding. Simply select an international virtual number that makes the most sense for you and sign up for a pay-as-you-go virtual phone plan.
Once established and configured, give your new virtual phone number to your contacts and let them know that they can use this number to reach you no matter where you may be. From there, you can use the online account management tool to change your ring to number as needed and change any personal preferences you wish.