All you need is a conference calling plan and the desire to hold group meetings over the phone. With the right calling plan, you can hold impromptu and scheduled conferences with minimal fuss.
Why Use Conference Calling
Any time you have three or more individuals working on a team from different locations, phone communications become more difficult. Rather than holding multiple phone calls, use a conference call to keep everyone informed and engaged.
Conference calling allows you to:
- Hold group meetings over the phone – Why hold a meeting in the office or a conference center when your entire team can collaborate over the phone?
- Eliminate costly meeting room rentals – If you usually rent meeting space, a conference calling plan can quickly save your business a substantial amount.
- Record group conversations for later review – Some conference calling plans feature MP3 recording. You can then email the MP3 file to team members who were unable to attend the teleconference.
- Eliminate travel expenses – Need to meet with team members from across the country or around the world? Instead of booking flights, rental cars, and hotel rooms, plan a conference call. Just about any topic can be discussed in a teleconference.
- Improve productivity – Conference calling requires much less time than physical meetings. There’s no commuting, no need to take anyone on a grand office tour, and no need for small talk before and after the meeting. Simply host the conference and begin at the appointed time.
- Hold impromptu meetings – Conference calling can be used on the spur of the moment, allowing you to hold meetings with key team members during times of crisis or inspiration.
How Conference Calling Works
When you think of conference calls, what comes to mind? Complicated phone systems and speakerphones are no longer the norm.
Today, conference calling service providers make conference calling a simple process that can be carried out on any phone including mobile phones and smartphones.
Here’s how it works:
- Sign up for an international or domestic conference calling plan, ideally one with low per minute rates and no monthly fees, contracts, or penalties.
- Notify your participants when the call will take place.
- Share the conference call’s details including scheduled time, phone number, and “PIN” number with attendees.
- At the appointed time, everyone dials the phone number, enters the PIN number, and the conference begins.
- As the conference moderator, you may have several tools available to you in an online dashboard. For example, you should be able to mute and unmute callers, dial participants, and start MP3 recording.
- Once the conference is over, everyone hangs up. Depending on your conference calling plan, you will most likely be billed per minute, per participant.
Conference calling is a low-cost alternative to holding live meetings.
The more you use your conference calling plan, the more indispensable it will become.